All good, smart girls should sit up, right?

chelsea-kiss

Lali giving Chelsea a kiss.

I just like this picture. :)

I was just marveling at my little wonder daughter last night. She is so sweet and so smart. She knows when Mama is sad and how to comfort me. (My sushi place wasn’t open.) She knows her colors. (Everything in the world is yellow, right? Oh I mean, “Lello.”) :) She is saying new words like Pokeylope (our cat), Cheerios and Kangaroo. Finally three syllables! She is also so social with both adults and other kids. Our neighbors held the gate open for us yesterday and Lali said thank you about seven times. :)

I’m comforted by her new knowledge of her world! I love my little girl!

And after all that this may seem silly, but I would love if Lali could sit up by herself before the new year. It was a goal we had for her last year, and she’s close, but she can’t do it by herself. Just not enough muscle. Well I really don’t know if she’s just missing the muscle to do it or if it’s too hard so she doesn’t want to do it or if it’s something she needs to be a little bigger to even do. Charley and I both admitted last night that we just don’t know if she’ll ever be able to do it. And we really need to adjust our goals and expectations to Laelia, not her to us. But it would allow her so much more freedom in her world if she could sit up. (By “sit up” I mean getting from lying on her back to a sitting position.) She would be able to reach things on the low table, or eat a snack without me having to carry her over to it and putting her into a sitting position. Plus my back would get a brake. So I thought I’d throw it out there as a Christmas miracle wish. It’s what we’re praying for. You’re welcome to join us! :)

6 Responses to “All good, smart girls should sit up, right?”

1. Linda Wesley says:

Of course I’ll join you! All love!

2. Randi says:

Well the good news is your are just like every other parent, you want your child to have the world, and be able to do everything in it.

Laelia is so sweet, and you did a great job.

3. Tam says:

maybe she could learn to sit up by leaning on something else? Sophie can sit up sometimes if she lifts her head up against a chair or wall or something solid and then pulls her body up a little and scoots her head over a little more and pulls her body up a little more until she is at a spot she can pull herself upright. what do you do for laylies hands? They have us night splinting and thats it. is it generally a long slow road for everything?

4. Melissa Rowe says:

I feel like she will learn to sit up…going back to the times that I worked on it with her she really did seem so close, even if she finds another way to do it. Babies all develop differently, and despite Laelia’s situation I think this may be one of those things that may click someday after many tries. One day she might just do it, she’s already done things doctors said she wouldn’t do. She is only 2 and she’s come so far already. I think she’s got more exciting things coming up. :)

5. Melissa Rowe says:

Plus, she is “super baby!” ;)

6. Tiffani says:

My daughter is almost 5 and she still can’t rise to a sitting position, nor sit independently :(. However, she has also been diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus, in addition to Arthrogryposis. I wish you all the best. Have a wonderful Christmas.