Little girl on the move.

Charley got a phone call at work last Thursday from Laelia’s school teacher asking, “Has Laelia ever done this before?” Then he got an email with a video attachment taken from Laelia’s teacher’s phone. It was this one of Lali riding a bulldozer toy at recess.

This is the first time she has moved one of these under her own power! Ever! Usually one of the other kids push her while her feet drag behind her. So it was very exciting to see! I think all this weight bearing on her legs is making them stronger!!!!!!!!

So we went out and bought her some real shoes to put over her AFOs (Ankle Foot Orthotics). They should provide some traction. But the added benefit is that they make me happy. I love seeing Lali in real shoes. These are her first pair of real shoes. Before we had some special shoes that were made specifically to fit over AFOs, but they didn’t carry those  in Lali’s size at Payless when we went in. I was about to give up when a nice gentleman measured her AFOs and brought us a box of shoes that fit over the AFOs perfectly!  And of course the stripe was pink! Lali kept saying, “I like it!” (Referring to her shoes.)  So cute! Now she asks for, “Shoes please. On please! Off please! On please!” All day long. :)

dsc01671

“See my shoes!”

dsc01677

The AFOs are hiden underneath.

dsc01668

Adding them to the pile. :)

12 Responses to “Little girl on the move.”

1. Anonymous says:

How wonderful , she is an inspiration!!

2. Tam says:

wow! yay lailia! Sophie wants to badly to walk. she is nearly crawling, needs only to be confident. but she is still scared. she likes when someone holds her up and she can move her legs as if she is walking.

3. Joann S says:

wow, is right! Laelia shows me a lot about determination and perseverance. Oh, and the joy over things I take for granted (e.g., a pair of shoes)–they are beautiful–”how beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news” (Rom 10:15) Being able to ride a bulldozer (seems so appropriate too because I think she will be riding a lot of bulldozers in her life time) and wearing real shoes is “good news” . Also it is good news that she has very good teachers (e.g., her parents)! Thanks to the teacher who took the video!

lol,
    Joann

4. Linda Wesley says:

I LOVE the picture of her little tiny shoes in the shoe row. That’s one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen. Love it. How great is that that she’s moving a bulldozer! Hooray! Thanks for posting, Alexis.

5. Kiersten says:

I don’t know which I love more – shoes that don’t require a RX or riding a bulldozer solo!!!!
    Congratulations. Go Lailia.
    43 days to SEA!

6. Kiersten says:

Duh – spelled her name wrong…..SORRY, Laelia :)
    I blame Lily

7. lauren B says:

YESSS!!!! GO LAELIA!!!!! AHHHH!!!!

8. Melissa Rowe says:

Love the shoes! She is stylin :)

9. Anonymous says:

It has been inspiring to watch Laelia’s journey. She is blessed to have parents like you two.

10. Lola Ellis says:

This is amazing news!! congratulations to you both, you should be very proud of eachother and most of all of your beautiful little miracle!! Love the pictures!! :)

11. Megan Lee says:

i love her big ol smile when she’s riding the bulldozer :)

12. Robin Clark says:

Add shoes and riding the bulldozer to the endless number of things that Laelia has done in less than 3 years! Imagine what will happen in the next 30?